Facebook has not been instructed to remove Al Jazeera’s investigative report
Akhiruzzaman Sohan: Several media outlets in Bangladesh (February 20) quoted Posts and Telecommunications Minister Mostafa Jabbar as saying that Facebook authorities had agreed to remove the Al Jazeera report and that action would be taken soon. He said this while inaugurating an SMS service in Bengali at half cost at the BTRC office on Saturday afternoon.
The minister was quoted as saying that a copy of the court’s directive had been sent to Facebook authorities and that they would remove the Al Jazeera report. Against such a background, a statement was issued on behalf of Facebook on Saturday night.
Facebook said, “We have not received any written instruction from the High Court to remove the documentary from the BTRC. We have not made any statement in this regard. ”
Benchmark PR, a public relations firm in Bangladesh, sent the statement via email to Facebook.
The High Court on February 16 ordered the BTRC to immediately remove the report aired on Al Jazeera television from online platforms and all forms of social media.
Contacted by Posts and Telecommunications Minister Mostafa Jabbar about Facebook’s statement, he told BBC Bangla that a lawyer’s copy of the court’s verdict had been sent to Facebook, not a certified copy of the full court’s verdict.
Mr. Jabbar said, “A copy of the court verdict has not been released yet. What we sent is a lawyer’s copy. “
He said Facebook and YouTube authorities were being contacted even before the High Court issued its order.
The minister said it was difficult to remove any information when it was published by a media outlet like Al-Jazeera. Facebook has said that they will consider the verdict of the court. That is what Minister Mostafa Jabbar is demanding. Source: BBC, Jamuna Online